Friday, September 04, 2009

First two weeks of school!!!

I have been hoarding crumpled post-it notes in my pockets, in the depths of my tote-bag, and shoved into notebooks the last two weeks. They contain hastily scribbled quotes from my 20 delightful four-year olds I have the privilege of teaching this fall. Here are a smattering... I hope they give you a taste of the joy I experience on a daily basis.

(Miss Beth & Miss Denise are my co-teachers and the kids are just listed by their first initial)

Miss Beth: Do you like to be called Rod or Roderick?
R: OBAMA!

T: I LOVE to say please!

B: It doesn't matter if you speak English or Spanish... God loves you and is living inside your heart.

A: I can't tie my shoes.
Me: Keep trying. You'll learn.
A: I been trying already for 30 years.

One day it was raining so we couldn't go outside for recess so the kids played in our room for the first time. Until this point we had all the shelves wrapped with paper like presents. We unveiled the shelves one at a time...
T: I can't believe it! Y'all! All the TOYS!"

As we got ready for lunch one day all the children were cleaning up the toys and I told R who was the mystery helper of the day to "give your friends a fork" meaning to put a fork at each place at the table. Instead he went around the whole classroom handing each child a fork saying, "Here, friend." :)

R. has also mastered the art of opening the mini-milk cartons we get at meals, which is no small feat. One day he started offering to help others open their milk. M (a girl) who sits next to R asked him to help her open her milk. R gladly assisted, explaining "you need strong muscles to open this."

At recess a Kindergartener came running up to us one day, clutching himself and pronounced, "Um, Excuse me, but I'm almost about to pee my pants."

Me: What bus did you ride?
M: I ride the hippie bus!

Miss Beth (reading a book): He burned up 100 forests.
R: No you mean foresteses.

B: I need to tell you the rules to play star wars in your ear. First, you fight. Then, your mission is complete.

R: I'm going to draw me a girlfriend.
Me: What's a girlfriend look like?
R: She got a green body and pink hair.

M (on a pretend phone): Hello, Obama? Why you callin' me?
T: Who's on the phone?
R: Obama. He get on my nerves.
Miss Denise: R, who is Obama? What does he do?
R: He cut grass.
Miss Denise: Oh, he cuts grass. Does he do anything else?
R: Yea! He cut bushes too.
T: He on channel 54.


Also, today (the best day in preschool history) I had a 35 minute dance party with three of my girls while we were in the gym. The PE teacher has a incredible dance mix for the kids and we rocked out... I was literally dripping sweat from sliding, twirling, and twisting with those bee-boppers. This is my awesome life.

One day I was eating lunch next to B and he whispered to me, "Miss Shannon. I can say something with my eyes." He proceeded to grin and raise his eyebrows at me.

T: Let me tell you something in your ear. My daddy got me a lunchbox.

2 comments:

Katie P said...

A.Maz.Ing. Your life is incredibly awesome!

Mary Kate said...

laughed and laughed and laughed some more. awesome.