Wednesday, October 01, 2008

more anne

Anne Lamott is one of my all time favorite authors... beloved for her wit, honesty about brokenness, and charming reliance on Jesus. I just started her latest book Grace (Eventually) and read this the other night...

I would be fine with life's contractions if they would simply pass when I am ready for them to, so I can be okay again and remember what, after all, I'm doing in labor. Being human can be so dispiriting. It is a real stretch for me a lot of the time.

Anne (we're on a first-name basis) is referring to childbirth and how the pain is worth the end result, much like the sufferings of our faith bring eventual glory. I just love her honesty here... you can hear her clench her fists and stomp her feet a little because life is just frustrating sometimes. Call it what it is!

No comments: